The beginning of Daylight Saving Time is filled with both trials and great opportunities. For optimists, it’s the unofficial start of Spring with longer days, warmer weather, and long-awaited time spent on the golf course. Yet increased health risks, psychological affects, and the (even greater) sleep deprivation from which we already suffer leaves many of us dreading the annual clock change.
All of these affects – both positive and negative – not only apply to our personal lives, but to our professional lives. We’re all in this together.
HERE ARE 5 GREAT TIPS YOUR BUSINESS CAN USE TO HELP SPRING AHEAD
1. Go to Bed Early “Spring Forward” Weekend
We know it’s hard. We have kids, obligations, and the need for just a little extra time to ourselves. Not to mention our bodies are not used to it. Research has shown for a long time that if we go to bed early Friday and Saturday nights on this notorious weekend, we’ll be better rested and ready to get back to work on Monday.
2. Change Your Batteries AND Your Passwords
There’s no time like the present! We know we’re supposed to change our passwords regularly, but we often forget. Daylight Savings Time is a great time to not only change our passwords but think of brand-new passwords we can use! A password Manager like LastPass will take care of remembering the strongest passwords so you don’t have to.
3. Start Your (Digital) Spring Cleaning
- Get rid of unused apps on Computers and Mobile Devices.
- Delete emails – especially ones containing PII – empty folders, and unsubscribe to newsletters, email alerts and updates you no longer need or use.
- Back up files you don’t use but want to keep and then make sure to delete them from your computer, server, mobile device AND old digital devices you no longer use.
- Permanently delete all old files. Remember, it’s not really gone until you empty the “trash.”
4. Review and Update Privacy and Security Settings on Accounts
Do you remember when you created that social media account so you could network with other professionals or businesses? No? Me either. This is a great time to review your privacy and security settings as you change your passwords.
5. Update Software and Apps
Make sure all software and apps on internet-connected devices are up to date. This also includes website browsers and mobile device firmware.
We may temporarily lose an hour of our day but taking advantage of the tips above is a great way take that “loss” and make it a worthwhile opportunity.
LMT Technology Solutions is here to help you with any of your IT needs. We specialize in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Managed Services, Business Solutions and more! Check out all our services or give us a call at 585-784-7470.